Director of Human Resources
Company: MID-AMERICA NAZARENE UNIVERSITY
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Job Location: Kansas - Olathe, KS
Position Type: Full Time
Education Level: 4 Year Degree
Salary Range: Undisclosed
Job Category: Human Resources
DescriptionJob Summary: Under the direction of the Vice President
for Finance, plan, organize and oversee the university human
resources management functions, including employee relations,
strategic planning, legal compliance, compensation administration,
payroll, HRIS, and faculty and staff planning and development. This
position is a resource for all levels of the organization regarding
employment, compensation, employee performance, benefits and other
employee related issues. In addition, this position acts as liaison
for university Risk Management issues with the carrier and various
departments on campus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
HR Related Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, organize and oversee the university human resources
management functions, including employee relations, strategic
planning, legal compliance, compensation administration, HRIS and
faculty and staff planning and development.
- Plan, coordinate and assist with employee relations and
training activities; provide information to applicants and
employees with human resources questions; conduct investigations
related to human resources issues as appropriate.
- Identify issues and recommend improvements for effective Human
Resources functions including benefit renewal, plan design changes,
Employee Handbook and university policies and procedures.
- Plan, organize and implement compensation administration
practices and procedures. This includes monitoring, setting and
changing pay ranges for staff personnel, running reports for annual
budget process, and coordinating pay increases/promotions.
- Develop, organize and implement performance management
- Administer and oversee recruitment process. An active member of
the Diversity Advisory Committee (DAC).
- Plan, coordinate and oversee activities related to benefits
administration. Such as: benefit renewal, coordinate with providers
for problem resolution, and disseminate changes to the campus
- Plans, organizes and implements events connected to employee
recognition, benefit enrollment and wellness activities, as well as
Administrative Staff Assembly meetings (ASA).
- Works with the Faculty and Staff development director regarding
training opportunities for staff. This includes being a member of
the Faculty Welfare Committee.
- Manages Communication staff (the University Receptionist) to
ensure that the university phone and reception area runs
efficiently and effectively.
- Responsible to maintaining HR and Communication annual budget
- Manage HR and communication staff.
- Explores all opportunities to maintain budgeted funds and cost
saving initiatives in benefits, staffing and other areas within
this position's span of control.
Payroll Related Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage payroll staff to ensure proper payment process and all
legal compliance of payroll payments for all University
- Audits reports (maintains compliance) on federal withholding,
state withholding, unemployment compensation as well as payroll
edits each pay period.
- Facilitates improvements in payroll operations/functions by
assisting in the development and maintenance of computer systems
used in payroll operations.
- Completes salary survey information as needed and annually for
the Integrated Postsecondary Education System (IPEDS).
- Ensures that MNU is collecting deductions from employees
accurately and processes the invoices for benefit carriers and
other vendor payments in a timely manner.
Risk Management Duties and Responsibilities
- Liaison for university Risk Management issues with the carrier
and coordinates renewal reporting and processes with the VP for
- Works with other departments regarding Risk Management issues
such as Facility Services. Reports liability claims to the carrier
and works with departments with required areas of
- Serves on the Emergency Operations Plan (EOP)
- Coordinates and reports worker compensation claims with the
injured party and the carrier.
- Oversees approval and education for those employees, including
students, that drive MNU vehicles and equipment.
- General understanding of basic accounting and payroll
- Demonstrated and proven ability in the understanding/knowledge
of all legal requirements for payroll and Human Resources
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the
ability to relate to a diverse clientele and all levels within
- Detailed oriented with strong attention to detail with the
ability to problem solve effectively and quickly.
- Ability to be personally supportive of the Christian character
and mission of the University to encourage and sustain mission-fit
- Solid computer skills including Microsoft Office
- Excellent listening and analytical skills to manage and guide
others through conflict resolution and management. This includes
skills to discern when issues can be resolved or when they need to
be moved to a higher level.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's required; Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated ability and experience in
payroll and Human Resources, 3 years of experience in higher
education is preferred.
- Experience using payroll software and ability to
understand/adapt to various computer software programs.
- Under the "Cover Letter" section and/or under "Upload
Additional Documents" section:
- Letter of application (cover letter)
- List of professional references (minimum of 3 with phone number
and email address included)
- Statement of faith (see below)
- University transcripts from all universities from which degrees
were received (scan and attach) or request mailing from appropriate
university (official transcripts will be requested upon hire)
Statement of Faith:
MidAmerica Nazarene University is an intentionally Christian
Community and desires that all employees in positions of leadership
reflect a foundational Christian position in word, attitude and
action. While there is no predetermined length or format for the
Personal Statement of Faith, the norm is a one or two page
narrative document describing the applicant's central Christian
beliefs, significant formative influences in the applicant's
Christian experience (e.g., religious experiences of conversion or
the affirmation of one's faith, one's family and/or home life,
spiritual aspirations), and ways in which the applicant's faith is
being demonstrated in daily patterns and practices.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met
by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of
this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Work environment characteristics are representative of those that
must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
MidAmerica is very much interested in reviewing applications from
qualified members of traditionally underrepresented groups in
America, including women and racial and ethnic minorities.
MidAmerica Nazarene University policy prohibits discrimination on
the basis of race, gender, age, color, creed, national or ethnic
origin, marital status, or disability in the recruitment and
admission of students and in the operation of all university
programs, activities, and services.
*Christian faith and employment at MidAmerica Nazarene University:
MidAmerica Nazarene University is an expression of the Church of
the Nazarene. It reserves the right to prefer employees on the
basis of religion (Title VII, Section 702-703, U.S. Civil Rights
Act of 1964).
Preferred candidates demonstrate a strong commitment to the
Christian faith, active participation in a local church, and a
philosophy of Christian higher education consistent with the
Read the university's full Non-Discrimination/Equal Employment
Opportunity Statement at
Keywords: MID-AMERICA NAZARENE UNIVERSITY, Olathe , Director of Human Resources, Executive , Olathe, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...